Friday, September 4, 2009

27th Post: BalloonS

After procrastinating for such a long time, I finally bring myself to update this dilapidated blog... Well, today I just watched UP by Disney and Pixar. The show starts off with a short animation clip 'Partly Cloudy' which is exuding charm right from the beginning till the end even though it's just few minutes long. The story is about clouds creating babies for different living beings including human, dogs and cats. I won't spoil the story to you, but for those who have watched, my favorite is the balloon-like crocodile.

Move on to the main part, UP is definitely one of the best animation to come from Disney in recent years, I would even use 'epic' to describe it. It was not just a commercial cartoon which tell its story in a plain vanilla fashion and try to inundate us with the overwhelming cuteness. Those animations may have made a lot of money, but at the same time it was also forgettable. That wasn't to say that UP isn't cute, it is indeed VERY cute, especially the chubby little boy. But there was more to its superficial cuteness; beyond the hilarious adventure by the duo(the other being the stubborn old man), I can clearly feel the theme of undying love and lifelong dream, and what made it great is that the animators were able to capture such profound theme perfectly in an animation which main selling point should be cuteness and jokes. I wholeheartedly recommend UP to everyone, children and adult alike, definitely not to be missed!

No comments: